Saturday, October 10, 2015

Being Alone Is Not That Bad

Being alone. How many of us can honestly say that you enjoy being alone? Sometimes being alone is okay, but being in the company of others is needed as well. Well, on this journey of getting closer to God, I have realized that God pushed me into a state of being alone. God had to strip me away from everyone and everything to bring me closer to him. At first I didn't realize the importance of being alone. I thought it was a bad thing, but soon I realized the purpose of being alone.

The purpose of being alone is that it allows you to rely on God and God alone. There are many instances that we would rather call friends and family about situations instead of going to God with it. I know that I did this all of the time. I would go to my family and friends with situations only to feel disappointed when they didn't listen or respond the way I wanted them to. I didn't realize that my family and friends could not fix my problems and would never respond the way I wanted them to. I was always praying and asking God to fix situations, but I was making him a backup plan. I would often go to him when things with friends and family didn't go well. 

The past few months, I have felt alone. Initially, I didn't like it, but lately being alone has been my preference. I haven't been interested in things that I would normally be interested in. Instead of waiting for God to unplug me from situations, I have been unplugging myself. For example, I have been turning down different trips and invites, not because I don't want to be in the company of others, but because I would rather take the time for myself.  The time alone has really been a learning experience. I have learned to enjoy myself. I have learned more about myself in these few months than I have my entire life. I have learned to go to God with disappointments, hurt, pain, and any situation rather than picking up the phone and calling family or friends. 

I know that when I leave this phase my relationship with God and myself will be much stronger. So, I encourage you to learn to be alone. Being alone doesn't mean that you are a lonely person, it just means that you know how to unplug from everything. Unplugging allows you to have one on one time with yourself and God. Trust me the one on one time is needed. When you learn to have one on one time, you will find your self disappointed in others much less. 

No comments:

Post a Comment