Thursday, September 17, 2015

Who Said There Couldn't Be Peace After A Storm?

They rushed into the bathroom because that was the only room without windows, so they figured that it would be the safest place to ride out the storm. They listened to the radio broadcast, and from the sound of it the storm was strengthening and getting close. As the storm progressed, their thoughts and emotions began to get the best of them. The wind, rain, thunder, and lightening became increasingly violent, and the family couldn't begin to imagine the damage the storm would cause. They weren't even sure if they would make it out of the storm. After about ten minutes (it felt like hours) the storm passed, and the family exited the bathroom to assess the damage. The storm had caused trees to fall, shingles from the roof to come apart, and a few power lines were down. For some odd reason, the family felt a sense of peace. The storm hadn't completely destroyed their lives like they imagined and at that moment everything was calm. This is how life's trials and tribulations are.


Whether it's a family tragedy, financial struggle, failing marriage, relationship, or friendship, sickness or disease, failing grades, unruly kids, or a combination of trying situations, life can throw some really low blows. We all go through storms much like the one the family experienced. During the storms our emotions are everywhere, our thoughts are scattered, and peace seems impossible. It feels like we have been in the storm forever, and we feel that giving up is the best option. It's also common for us to get angry with God, question God, or give up on trying God during these storms. I know during the mist of my storms I grew angry, bitter, sad, unappreciative, and so much more. I remember going to my special place (the shower) and breaking completely down. For the life of me I didn't understand why I had so many storms. It seemed like one storm would come and when I thought the storm was passing, another storm started. It seemed that my life story would be about storms. On this particular day, I remember talking to God and giving him the complete run down. I was angry and I wanted to know why me. Why did I have to endure such storms and such pain? Why did I have to be in this place? Why couldn't he just bless me with the things that I had asked of him? I just wanted to be successful, a good mom, and live a comfortable life. Was that too much to ask? What had I done to deserve all of this? After leaving the shower I didn't have an answer, and I wasn't seeking one at that point because I was angry.


It wasn't until I realized that I was failing miserably. I wasn't allowing the storm to change me. I wasn't using this time to become stronger. I was waisting time with a pity party. Instead of asking God to give me wisdom to understand my storm, and then strength to get through it, I was getting angry at him for trying to make me a better person. So, I started trying my hardest to remain joyful during my storms. Don't get me wrong, there are still times I feel down or discouraged but I continue pushing and trying. Each day that I try God helps me get through, and he also rewards me. When I stopped complaining and starting using the time to get closer to him, I started to see small blessings that reassured me that Greater was near.

So, I will leave you with this. We have to realize that our trials help mold us into stronger, better, God fearing individuals. We also have to realize that everyone has trials for different reasons. Never compare your trials to the trials or lives of others. Find joy in your trials, and use the time in the storm as a time to grow and become stronger. Most importantly, remember that there is PEACE after the storm.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this!!! Amazing writing, relatable testimony!!!

    ReplyDelete